History of the cellars
Cellars can be found in two places in Mikóháza: The cellar row of Remete is situated on the ascending section of the road leading to Remete, while the majority of the cellars can be founf on the Hegyalja street. On the occasion of the new regulation the land register of 30th June 1876 already included (all estates of the 14 former copyhold property owners, the residence of the bell-ringer of the Greek Catholic church, the estates of the clergy’s office, the inner and outer estates owned by the community, the jointly used territories, the old the new cemetery, the public tree nurseries) the cellar sites as well. A cellar row was formed in the Huta part of the village to store the must and wine made from the grapes produced on Palacka. In addition to the wine barrels potatoes and other stuff were also stored in the cellars. The distinctive cellar row has been known for more than 100 years. Some of 95 cellars were built at the end of the 19th century. During the local events of World War II the major part of population sought refuge in them. The Monument Conservancy declared six buildings to be historical momuments in 1961 in order to protect the values and preserve the traditions of the community. These include the folkstyle cellar row consisting of 95 cellars on the hillside. This is the starting point of the natural trail leading up to the lookout on the Fekete (Black) hill, which provides a beautiful view on the surroundings from a height of 577 metres. Cellars that are not regularly used are home to different kinds of bats.