Castle of Sátoraljaújhely
It is actually a castle ruin under excavation, which is constantly changing in form, but can be visited. Castle Hill is easy to reach by car or on foot. According to authentic historical data, this was actually called Pataki Castle, where the word “Patak” does not refer to Sárospatak, but to the geographical location of the castle. The castle was first mentioned in writing in 1261 after the Tartar invasion. During the archaeological excavations that still take place today, an unparalleled amount and value of finds was found, led by István Ringer, museum director. The found objects will be exhibited in the Ferenc Kazinczy Museum in the center of Sátoraljaújhely. Instead of reconstructing and rebuilding the castle, the city set the goal of preserving it. The tour of the former castle, on the other hand, is made possible by modern technology in a visitor center built at the foot of the castle. There is a special panorama from the walls of the castle ruins, which tourists can see soon after walking on a suspension bridge.