The most valuable group of monuments can be found in the most ancient part of the town, the so - called Barátszer. You can see architectonic painting on the wall of the religious house. The beautiful baroque main altar and the choir stalls create a pious atmosphere.
The St. Aegidius monastery of the Pauliners of Sátoraljaújhely was founded and begun to be constructed at the beginning of the 14the century. In 1566, the town and the monastery was set on fire by tartars. During the 16th and the 17th centuries the group of buildings was continuously being reconstructed, Ferenc Rákóczi had the chapel at - which is still standing today - built to its southern side. After gradually dissolving the Pauline order in 1786, the Piarists came into possesion of the monastery and the church in 1789. At this time the title of the church was changed from Saint Aegidius to Saint Joseph Calasanz. Its current title is Assumption (of the Virgin Mary)
The church has maintained its distinctive medieval, Pauline layout.
Hungary’s first mechanical clock face in the stone tower of the Pauline-Piarist church dates from 1501.