The medieval church was rebuilt in 1482. During the Reformation and Counter-Reformation it changed hands seven times, used at times by the catholics, at other times by the protestants as a place of their church services. It was demolished after burning down in 1765 and 1768. The new church was built between 1771 and 1795, which burned down again in 1812. The main square of Újhely is dominated by the current one with its N-S direction axle, its two vases in Louis Seize style on both sides, and its articulated facade. The new building was erected in late baroque style between 1768 and 1978, but it is not standing on the east-oriented medieval foundations. The Hungarian Holy Crown was guarded here on 6th December 1805 and on 15th March 1806, it was damaged by fire again in 1812. During the renovation in 1860 it was dedicated to Saint Stephen. It got its current form between 1909 and 1911. It was complemented with a transept, and the furniture was rearranged. The main altar was created by Lipót Hild. The two pictures on the altar were painted by the painter Andor Boruth, who lived in Sátoraljaújhely. It is neighboured by the romantic style, monument-like clergy house, which was built in 1852.